British-African entertainer popularly known as Mrs Omokorede on The Lenny Henry Show is a popular character comedian.
Her videos of short drama’s as Funmi’s pushy mother went viral some years ago and many Nigerians keep wondering who she really is and if she is truly a Nigerian. Well, there are several other, very interesting things about her personality, and if you would like to know more, simply read on as we unveil all you didn’t know about Mrs. Omokerede.
1. She was born in Bethnal Green, London to Nigerian parents and her real name is Gina Obedapo Yashere.
2. Mrs Omokerede is a British citizen and has been active in both stage and screen comedy/acting since 1996.
3. Her jokes and comments are basically focused on culture, racism, stereotypes, and current events.
4. She has made numerous appearances on Mock the Week, and appears on the CBBC show – Gina’s Laughing Gear.
5. Her major source of inspiration comes from Richard Pryor and Bill Cosby.
6. Before she became a comedian, Gina worked as a lift maintenance technician.
7. She was a finalist in the Hackney Empire New Act of the Year competition in 1996.
8. She has acted in so many drama series and even animated films – She voiced Keisha on Bromwell High.
9. In 2005, Gina appeared in the reality television series, Comic Relief does Fame Academy, in aid of Comic Relief, and she co-hosted the 2006 and 2007 MOBO Awards alongside 2Face Idibia and Coolio.
10. In reality, Mrs Omokerede looks masculine with several tattoos and loves to dress manly.
11. In 2007, Gina was a top 10 finalist on the reality show Last Comic Standing in Australia.
12. In 2008, she became the first Briton to perform on Def Comedy Jam.
13. She has also performed numerous times at the prestigious Just For Laughs Comedy Festival in Montreal and Toronto, and at HBO and TBS’s The Comedy Festival in Las Vegas.
14. Gina also featured in ‘Kiss Kiss Bang Bang’ and ‘Mr. in Between.’
15. Gina picked up her 4th award in a row for “Best Female Comedian” at the recent Black Entertainment & Comedy Awards (UK).
16. She also played a principal character in the TV series in the UK entitled ‘Married Single Other’ which was aired on ITV in the UK, and in Australia.
17. She has just shot her 3rd Stand Up Special Gina Yashere: Ticking Boxes, which was filmed at the iconic 02 Academy, Brixton in front of over 2000 of her fans.
18. In 2013 Gina appeared in an advert for Tesco Mobile.
19. Gina has performed in the following; her own 1 hour Comedy Special ‘Skinny B*tch ‘(SHOWTIME), Are We There Yet (TBS), Stand Up in Stilettos (TV Guide), The Jay Leno Show (NBC), The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien (NBC), Last Comic Standing (NBC), Chelsea Lately (E!), Live at Gotham (Comedy Central), Def Comedy Jam (HBO), Comics Unleashed (ABC), Live At The Apollo (BBC), The Mobo Awards (UK Host), Mock The week (BBC UK), The Lenny Henry Show (BBC UK), and The Celebrity Fame Academy (BBC UK). She also has a BBC Radio London Show – The Powder Room (BBC Radio UK).
20. Currently, Mrs Omokerede is 41 years old and still single, although on The Lenny Henry Show she has three husbands.
21. Her bombastic delivery, infectious personality, and cheeky observations have wowed her audiences making her one of the most sort after comedian in the UK, US, Japan, Dubai, Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, Australia, Canada, South Africa, and all over Europe.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Notify me of follow-up comments by email.
Notify me of new posts by email.
Klopp speaks out on Salah’s muted goal celebrations for Liverpool
Sarri class message to Alonso after he signs new Chelsea contract
Unai Emery warned Arsenal will be ‘ripped to shreds’ by Liverpool
Alexis leaving Arsenal to join Man U was a mistake, says Robert Pires
Strong Warning To Tinubu — “Don’t Put Yoruba Nation On Fire”
2014 Powered By KrystalTeam and Designed By Ariff Smart